Individuals who often wrestle with an upset abdomen, heartburn, or acid reflux disease, could select to take a Tums to neutralize abdomen acid and scale back the results of GI (gastrointestinal) upset. As a canine proprietor, it would make sense to ask, “can I give my canine Tums?” Tums’ energetic ingredient is calcium carbonate (every pill often comprises 1000 mg of calcium carbonate), an antacid that helps neutralize heartburn-causing acid within the esophagus and abdomen. If taking a Tums can deliver immediate reduction for our heartburn or indigestion, can it additionally assist your canine if he’s experiencing signs of GI upset or different abdomen issues?
Picture by @master1305 from FreePik
Earlier than providing your canine a Tums, examine together with your veterinarian first. Tums can worsen some medical situations in canines, improve calcium blood ranges, and intervene with some prescription medicines. It’s at all times finest to speak with your veterinarian earlier than providing any over-the-counter medicines to your buddy canine.
Briefly, are you able to give a canine Tums? The brief reply is sure, however there are some things to contemplate first.
How Do Tums Work in Canine?
The calcium carbonate in Tums works to boost the digestive tract’s pH by neutralizing abdomen acid. Providing a Tums to your finest buddy may help him really feel higher, nonetheless, it could not supply your canine as a lot reduction. The calcium carbonate in Tums shouldn’t be as “bioavailable”  as it’s in people. Which means the calcium will primarily move via the digestive tract with out being absorbed as a result of canines digest issues extra rapidly than people. Some pups could expertise little constipation after taking it, particularly in the event that they eat a big quantity. Tums are comparatively secure for canines, offered they don’t comprise any synthetic sweeteners. Don’t give your pet Tums which might be sweetened with sorbitol or aspartame, as these synthetic sweeteners may cause some GI upset, and don’t use when it comprises xylitol as it’s extremely poisonous.
Can I Give My Canine Tums for an Upset Abdomen? Or Gasoline?
Like people, canines can often endure from heartburn, gastrointestinal (GI) upset, and fuel. Heartburn signs in your furry buddy embody unhealthy breath (halitosis), drooling, and decreased urge for food. Indicators of an upset abdomen embody diarrhea, vomiting, fuel, and abdomen ache. Tums are often secure to provide usually wholesome canines who aren’t taking different medicines, however you’ll need to examine together with your veterinarian first. Additionally, some antacids are used to deal with sure types of kidney illness, however antacids similar to Tums could make some kinds of kidney illness worse. It’s finest to talk together with your veterinarian first about the best way antacids can your finest buddy’s well being.
Are Tums Dangerous for Canine?
Tums will not be unhealthy for canines, however as talked about above, the advantages will not be as bioavailable as they’re in people. You can provide your canine a Tums to assist him really feel higher however at all times examine together with your veterinarian first. Beneath are listed some situations the place Tums may cause some issues in your pup.
- Drugs. Tums can intervene  with different medicines similar to ranitidine, Ketoconazole, corticosteroids, tetracyclines, or digoxin. In case your canine is on any medicines, seek the advice of your veterinarian earlier than providing a Tums.
- Kidney Operate. Tums will not be as efficient as different veterinary medicines, and when you have a canine with kidney issues, providing Tums may trigger hypercalcemia (excessive ranges of calcium within the blood), and exacerbate kidney and urinary perform.
- Continual GI Points. In case your pooch has continual GI points, make an appointment together with your veterinarian. Tums shouldn’t be used long-term, and your veterinarian could make extra acceptable suggestions similar to modifications in weight loss plan or prescribing medicines.
- Synthetic Dyes. Tums typically are available a wide range of colours and may trigger allergic reactions in canines with delicate stomachs.
- Puppies and Nursing Moms. In puppies or nursing moms, further calcium can negatively affect bone and cartilage growth in growing puppies, so it’s essential to keep away from utilizing it in lactating moms and puppies.
- Xylitol. Some Tums merchandise comprise xylitol which is very poisonous for canines. Xylitol is a synthetic sweetener and in even small quantities may cause drastic hypoglycemia, liver failure, seizures, and even dying. At all times examine the substances in Tums earlier than providing it to your pet.
READ MORE: Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach
Photograph by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels
How Many Tums Can I Give to my Canine?
In fact, it’s finest to seek the advice of your veterinarian earlier than administering Tums to your pet, nonetheless, for those who suppose your canine may gain advantage from a Tums, the correct dose varies as to the energy of Tums and the burden of your pup. It’s best to provide tablets with meals, and the dose varies from as little as 1200 mg (mainly 1 pill) to twenty grams (2 tablets). The really useful dose for many canines as an antacid is 0.5-5 grams by mouth as soon as each 4 hours as wanted.
The really useful doses are listed under, however ensure you seek the advice of your veterinarian first.
- Small breeds (20 kilos and underneath): 1250 mg per 24 hours.
- Medium breeds (20-50 kilos): 2 grams to 4 grams per 24 hours.
- Massive breeds (50-85 kilos): 4 grams to six grams per 24 hours.
- Big breeds (over 85 kilos): 6 to 10 grams orally per 24 hours.
Can canines have Tums or Pepto-Bismol?
Along with Tums, canines may also have Pepto-Bismol, nonetheless, Pepto (often known as Bismuth subsalicylate) works finest for abdomen points moderately than for decrease gastrointestinal points. Nonetheless, most veterinarians not often suggest utilizing Pepto frequently because the salicylates within the product may cause gastric bleeding, and the bismuth can flip stools black.
There are not any documented interactions between Tums and Pepto-Bismol, so that you could possibly give each. However, as at all times, seek the advice of your veterinarian first earlier than giving any over-the-counter human medicine to your canine.
Precautions When Giving Tums to Canine
Earlier than giving your canine Tums, at all times examine together with your vet first. There are additionally a number of precautions to contemplate.
- By no means give Tums which have synthetic sweeteners. Some Tums comprise a sugar different known as xylitol, which may be very poisonous for canines.
- Look ahead to allergic reactions. Tums comprise not solely calcium carbonate but additionally different substances similar to sugar and meals coloring.
- The calcium in Tums can exacerbate kidney perform, particularly in canines with renal insufficiency.
- Tums may cause some canines to have free stools and in some circumstances, constipation.
- The substances in Tums can negatively work together with different medicines.
- Giving Tums to puppies and younger canines could intervene with correct bone development and growth.
What are Protected Options to Tums?
There are alternate options to Tums in case your canine suffers from diarrhea, vomiting, heartburn, or abdomen ache. Nonetheless, your veterinarian can prescribe sure medicines in your finest buddy that may additionally supply GI help. Some alternate options are listed under.
Typically useful microbes within the GI tract are destroyed, which might trigger abdomen upset and different points. If your loved ones buddy suffers from continual diarrhea or associated points, your veterinarian could counsel giving your pup probiotics to spice up GI perform and nutrient absorption.
2. Particular weight loss plan
Some canines could exhibit GI and abdomen issues as a consequence of meals or meals allergy symptoms. Seek the advice of your veterinarian, and maybe attempt a weight loss plan trial or a restricted ingredient meals. You may additionally need to attempt a bland weight loss plan for a number of days particularly in case your pooch has abdomen points or suffers from a number of gentle episodes of abdomen upset.
3. Pepto Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate)
Pepto Bismol is secure to supply most canines, however it could actually trigger gastric bleeding, and the bismuth Pepto Bismol can flip the stool black. The really useful  dose for many canines is 1 teaspoon per 5-10 kilos, given each 6-to-8 hours. Observe: By no means give cats Pepto Bismol as it’s extremely poisonous to them.
4. Immodium (loperamide)
You can provide your canine Immodium for diarrhea, and the correct dose is one 2 mg tablet per 40 kilos of physique weight 2-to-3 instances each day, however you shouldn’t exceed three doses in 24 hours and don’t use for greater than 48 hours. If diarrhea doesn’t resolve, contact your veterinarian.
5. Pepcid (famotidine)
Pepcid, or famotidine, is available in 10 mg tablets. It’s an antacid, and canines can obtain one 10 mg pill per 20 kilos of physique weight each 12-to-24 hours, one hour earlier than a meal. Test together with your veterinarian first to confirm the dose in your pet.
6. Tagamet (cimetidine)
Like Pepcid, Tagamet reduces acid manufacturing within the GI tract and is used off-label in veterinary drugs to deal with or stop stress, drug reactions, abdomen or intestinal ulcers, or esophageal irritation. The dose of Tagamet for canines is 3-5mg per pound of physique weight.
READ MORE: How to Give Medicine to a Dog?
My Canine Ate Tums. What Ought to I do?
In case you suspect that your canine has ingested Tums, particularly a big amount, contact your veterinarian straight away. If this occurs, you could change into anxious about potential poisonous unintended effects, however since they’re primarily composed of calcium carbonate, they’re unlikely to do your pet appreciable hurt. The excellent news is that calcium carbonate shouldn’t be as readily absorbed by your pup, and usually passes via the digestive tract.
Nonetheless, for those who suspect that your pet has ingested Tums that embody synthetic sweeteners or Xylitol, contact your veterinarian instantly. You may also contact the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline at (855)764-7661 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Management Heart hotline at (888) 426-4435. There could also be a cost for the calls, however the poison management specialists on the opposite line may help decide whether or not your pet is at risk.
RELATED ARTICLE: Signs of Dog Poisoning
Photograph by James Barker on Unsplash
The commonest indicators of upset abdomen in canines are diarrhea and vomiting. In case you suppose your canine has only a case of an upset abdomen, attempt giving a Tums utilizing the dosing chart above, or a Pepcid or some Pepto Bismol. You may also attempt providing him a light weight loss plan of steamed white rice and boiled hen with out the pores and skin for a day or two. Nonetheless, if signs persist, give your veterinarian a name.
As mentioned above, there are a number of antacids you may supply your canine, together with Tums, Pepcid, or Ranitidine. Antacids are medicines that make the most of inorganic salts that perform to scale back the buildup of abdomen acid. These medicines will not be as efficient in canines because the proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), which primarily block the frequent pathway of acid manufacturing within the abdomen.
The reply is sure however at all times double-check together with your veterinarian first. The dose for Tums is 0.5-5 grams by mouth as soon as each 4 hours, and the dose for Pepto Bismol is 1 teaspoon by mouth per 5-10 kilos, given each 6-to-8 hours. But when your canine vomits up the Pepto-Bismol, name your veterinarian.
Pepto Bismol, Tums, Pepcid (famotidine), and Tagamet (cimetidine) may be given to your canine for an upset abdomen or heartburn. These medicines work by lowering the manufacturing of GI acids and may make your finest buddy really feel higher. Though it’s completely OK to make use of these medicines often for abdomen upset, it’s best to contact your veterinarian if signs persist.
READ MORE: 10 Reasons Why Your Dog Snore
Tums can supply some reduction in your pup if he’s affected by abdomen upset or heartburn, and for those who comply with the recommendation outlined above, there are issues you are able to do to supply your finest buddy some reduction. Nonetheless, it’s endorsed to contact your veterinarian first earlier than giving any medicine by your self.
- Hanzlik, Robert. “Relative Bioavailability of Calcium from Calcium Formate, Calcium Citrate, and Calcium Carbonate.” PubMed, 25 Feb. 2021, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15734899/.
- “Antacids – Pet, Canine and Cat Remedy and Prescription Listing.” PetMD, 2 Apr. 2021, petmd.com/pet-medication/antacids.
- Donovan, Liz. “Dosages of OTC Medicines That Are Canine-Pleasant.” American Kennel Membership, 7 Mar. 2018, akc.org/expert-advice/health/is-pepto-bismol-safe-for-dogs/.