Eradicating your cat’s poop and pee from their litter field is one factor, however on the subject of discovering nasty little bugs in there, it may be an excessive amount of for a cat guardian to bear! What are these tiny bugs, and extra importantly, how do you do away with them? Don’t fear—right here we stroll you thru every step so you possibly can 1) develop into a bug professional relating to your cat’s litter, 2) do away with these pests shortly, and three) ensure that they don’t come again.
So, seize your magnifying glass (excellent for a close-up inspection) and your latex gloves, and let’s get began!
What Kinds of Bugs Can Be Present in Your Cat’s Litter Field?
Listed below are the most typical bugs which will invade your cat’s non-public rest room.
- Fungus Gnats: These tiny black flies appear like mosquitoes however don’t chew. They normally invade our houses when the temperature warms up. They reside and breed in decaying natural waste and damp plant beds, most likely why your cat’s litter field can entice them.
- Fruit Flies: These tiny, big-eyed pests like to fly round your fruit bowls, particularly when bananas are overripe. They appear like fungus gnats, although in the event you look intently, you could possibly make out their reddish eyes. You’ll see them flying round not solely your cat’s litter field but additionally your trash can and different kitchen waste.
- Phorid Flies: Your cat’s poop is an actual magnet for phorid flies! These little brownish pests are likely to deposit their eggs in animal feces and different decomposing waste. Phorid flies are simply acknowledged by the bumps on their thoraxes, giving them their nickname, “humpback flies.”
- Cockroaches: These notorious visitors want no introduction. Sadly, your cat’s litter field could be a haven for these nasty bugs, particularly if it hasn’t been modified shortly.
- Silverfish: These might be discovered throughout your own home, particularly in humid, heat areas. These shiny, grey, scaly bugs with slender our bodies can develop as much as 1 inch lengthy. They often wander into your cat’s litter field to feast on decaying waste.
- Maggots: Since they’re fly larvae, the presence of maggots is dependent upon whether or not the litter was already visited by flies. Subsequently, in the event you haven’t modified the litter for some time and it’s scorching exterior (ideally suited situations for flies and different bugs), you threat discovering maggots in there.
- Tapeworms: These tiny, pale, yellow parasites might be fairly troublesome to identify in your cat’s litter field. Seeing tapeworm segments in feces not solely implies that your cat is contaminated with tapeworms, however they could even have Certainly, the tapeworm is an intestinal parasite that makes use of a flea as an intermediate host to enter your cat.
Ought to You Take Your Cat to the Vet?
Seeing most of those bugs in your cat’s litter field normally doesn’t require something out of your veterinarian, apart from tapeworms. In case you discover tapeworms in your cat’s feces or across the anus, you will want to go to your vet for a correct examination. They are going to present a dewormer given within the type of a pill or injection to rid your cat of worms, together with anti-flea medicine.
The three Methods to Get Rid of Litter Field Invaders
Fortuitously, it’s pretty straightforward to do away with all of the bugs and flies which have taken up residence in your kitty’s litter field.
1. Get Rid of the Entire Litter
It’s time for a giant clear! Throw the complete contents of the litter field right into a rubbish bag that you just seal rigorously to forestall the bugs from escaping.
2. Wash and Disinfect the Field Completely
Wash the field completely with a gentle detergent or litter field cleaner. You too can spray white vinegar, however make sure you dilute it effectively, because the remaining acidic odor could postpone your cat. Sprinkling a bit baking soda diluted in water might be simply as efficient.
3. Think about Altering the Sort of Litter That You Use
In case you are utilizing natural or “all-natural” litter, this can be the issue. Such a substrate tends to remain moist, which might entice bugs that feed on decaying natural matter. Think about changing it with a clay-based or silica-based litter, at the very least for some time, to see if it makes a distinction in your insect downside.
That’s it! You removed all these nasty bugs. However now the true query is: How do you ensure that they by no means come again?
Learn how to Forestall Bugs From Getting Into Your Cat’s Litter Field
The best answer to forestall these nasty critters from invading your cat’s bathroom is to maintain it clear. Which means scooping out the poo and urine daily and washing it completely at the very least as soon as per week, notably in the event you use pure litter.
Professional Tip: Ditch the Lid on Coated Litter Packing containers
Covered litter boxes tend to retain moisture, as there’s no outlet for it to flee. This trapped dampness creates a great atmosphere for bugs and flies to multiply, so do away with the highest in the event you can.
The mixture of moisture, urine, and cat feces makes the litter field an actual magnet for pesky invaders. Worse, they’ll lay eggs within the litter, which might persist with your cat’s paws and spread throughout the house. Fortuitously, eliminating these nasty bugs is kind of easy, as a result of generally, the infestation will disappear as quickly as you clear the litter field completely. Then, all you need to do is preserve good hygiene practices so your feline good friend can do their enterprise in a litter field freed from undesirable visitors.
Finally, though litter field bugs are gross, they’re usually not harmful. Nonetheless, in the event you suspect that your cat has tapeworms, it’s best to take them to the vet.
Featured Picture Credit score: New Africa, Shutterstock