This particular weblog submit is delivered to you by Mei-i Zien, proprietor of maison de pawZ, a Parisian-inspired pâwtisseries, creating human grade, gluten + grain free canine treats and muffins to have fun all events.
A Little Background:
maison de pawZ was created by Taiwanese doggy baker Mei-i Zien to replicate her love of the markets in Paris and NYC and their use of the freshest seasonal substances (as a result of your canine deserves the perfect). On a regular basis’s a celebration whenever you spoil your canine with their contemporary baked canine muffins, pup-tarts and biscuits.
The restricted substances in these artisanal canine biscuits are individually hand-cut and gradual baked in small batches, with natural fruit & produce hand-picked from native NYC Inexperienced Markets’ farmers and different regional suppliers throughout the Hudson Valley when accessible.
All objects of their pâwtisserie are all-natural with zero sugar, salt, preservatives, chemical substances and by-products. maison de pawZ loves their four-legged prospects and wish to be sure that they eat solely the perfect with substances that we might eat ourselves (and we’ve got!).
Tyler, Mei-i’s canine who was a 14 yo miniature American Eskimo, was the inspiration for maison de pawZ and an official style tester. His fur sibling, Marcel, has now taken over the honors of Chief Deal with Officer. Marcel is a toothless, 14 yo lengthy haired chihuahua rescued from a pet mill in Oklahoma. His favourite deal with is the Tacky Candy Potato Fries and Tuna Niçoise canine biscuits.
Now let’s hear from Mei-i!
Saturday, August 26th is Nationwide Canine Day! At the present time was created to have fun all canine breeds and produce consciousness to rescue and shelter canines. At the present time is much more particular to me as a result of six years in the past, I adopted an extended haired chihuahua from my native New York Metropolis rescue, Friends with Four Paws.
I used to be collaborating with the shop CB2 on a marketing campaign for Nationwide Undertake a Shelter Pet Day (April 30th) by offering mini baggage of our restricted substances, gluten + grain free canine biscuits at 10 of their retailer places nationwide. They had been working with native rescue organizations in every city or metropolis the place they had been internet hosting the occasions, and having them usher in adoptable canines for people to fulfill in particular person.
In Manhattan, CB2 was working with Foster Dogs who coordinated with varied rescues across the metropolis to convey adoptable canines to each CB2 places within the metropolis. Marcel, then named Eddie, had simply arrived from a pet mill in Oklahoma. I had my first canine, Tyler, with me; he was a miniature American eskimo canine who was the unique inspiration for maison de pawZ and the rationale why I began baking canine treats for canines with allergic reactions. The 2 of them met and there was an prompt connection that I couldn’t deny. I adopted Marcel (for Tyler) and put within the paperwork that day. When you realize, you realize! Our household was full and I now had a second style tester with an infinitely pickier palate.
So now I’m going to share a simple, however particular deal with you could put collectively on your canine to have fun the special occasion devoted to our pooches!
We’re coming to the tail finish of summer time and pondering of all issues fall…which suggests it’s PSL (pumpkin spice latte) season! Whether or not or not you hate it, pumpkin is a superfood on your canine and advantages them in some ways, together with offering a whole lot of fiber for digestion. These nutty, pumpkin spice barkscotti not solely include superfoods that may give them a case of the zoomies, however will certainly make them drool as they anticipate it.
All the substances I take advantage of in our canine deal with recipes are clear and human grade. What does human grade imply precisely? Sure, it may well imply that your people can take a chunk of the deal with; it might simply style like a drier, sugar + salt free deal with. However utilizing human grade substances means we’re utilizing substances that may be present in your kitchen with no chemical substances or components. A win-win for everybody throughout!
Warning: your kitchen WILL odor like pumpkin pie as this bakes within the oven. So don’t really feel responsible for those who do take a chunk, or a complete piece, of the barkscotti for your self. 😉
NUTTY PUMPKIN SPICE BARKSCOTTI
Makes roughly 8-10 items of biscotti (or 20 minis)
1 cup natural almond flour (almond meal shouldn’t be the identical however has a extra grainy texture)
½ cup natural white rice flour
1 tbsp natural flaxseed meal
¼ cup water + 3 tbsp
¼ cup natural pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 tbsp peanut butter, unsalted if doable *
¼ tsp floor cinnamon
1/8 tsp floor ginger
2 tbsp natural coconut oil
2 tbsp crushed, unsalted pumpkin seeds **
2 tbsp jerky of selection, crushed into smaller items (optionally available)
ICING: (optionally available)
2 tbsp cornstarch flour
1 tbsp water
Drizzle of honey
- Preheat your oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, add flaxseed meal and three tbsp water. Set to the aspect when you put collectively your barkscotti combination. This prompts the enzymes and makes it simpler on your canine to digest.
In a medium mixing bowl, add flours, cinnamon, and ginger. Whisk collectively till blended.
- Add pumpkin, PB, and coconut oil. Use a hand mixer on lowest velocity to combine collectively your dough.
- Slowly add water to your dough. Relying on the flour you buy, chances are you’ll want rather less/extra water on your combination. You need the dough to be easy, however not cheesy; it shouldn’t follow your fingers. Whether it is sticky, add just a little extra rice flour to the dough; if it’s wanting just a little dry, add a tsp of water at a time till the dough is easy.
- Add pumpkin seeds and jerky into the dough and blend it in.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Together with your fingers, type dough into an oblong form that’s roughly 1.5” thick. You probably have a smaller canine and wish to make mini dimension barkscotti, type two rectangular formed doughs.
- Bake for half-hour or till the dough is cooked by and it’s all the identical coloration.
- Take away from the oven and let it cool utterly earlier than going to the following step.
- Utilizing a serrated knife, slice diagonally after which place it on the minimize aspect on the cookie sheet. Place again into the oven for quarter-hour.
- Take away from the oven; flip the barkscotti to the opposite aspect and bake for an extra quarter-hour.
- Take away from the oven and let cool. The barkscotti ought to be dry by this level and have a extra crumbly texture. In order for you it to be more durable on your canine and have it last more, you’ll be able to bake for an extra 20 minutes to take away extra moisture from the barkscotti.
- Whereas the barkscotti is cooling, make your icing if you wish to drizzle it on prime of the barkscotti.
- Mix all icing substances in a small bowl. This hardens shortly, so don’t make the icing till you might be able to put it over your cool barkscotti. Drizzle over the tops or dip one aspect of every one into the icing. Prime with crushed pumpkin seeds and/or jerky.
Serve to your canine by itself or over a glass of uncooked goat’s milk or a puppuccino (unsweetened whipped cream). ***
This recipe is a deal with and shouldn’t be thought-about a meal substitute. Like all new deal with, feed your canine a small quantity to verify there aren’t any opposed results. Treats ought to solely make up 10% of your canine’s each day meals consumption for a nutritious diet.
STORAGE: Refrigerate for 3-4 weeks. If drier, refrigerate for as much as 2 months.
*Examine the substances on the peanut butter to make sure that it doesn’t include xylitol. That is used as a sugar free substitute in lots of human meals, however is poisonous for canines to devour.
**Crush complete, uncooked pumpkin seeds by pulsing a meals processor just a few instances. You don’t want it finely floor, simply roughly crushed. If you happen to don’t have a processor, be at liberty to place the seeds right into a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to provide it just a few whacks.